What is SHARP?
Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (see the Introduction to SHARP video on YouTube)
A safe and healthy workplace is the result of teamwork that includes both employers and employees. Through a spirit of cooperation, employers, employees, and the Virginia Department of Labor and Industry can work together to reduce injuries and illnesses in our workplaces.
The Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP) was developed to provide incentives and support to smaller, high-hazard employers to work with employees to develop, implement, and continuously improve safety and health programs.
SHARP recognizes worksites that operate exemplary safety and health programs that result in the immediate and long-term prevention of job related injuries and illnesses. This is achieved by:
- Encouraging employers to use Virginia Occupational Safety and Health (VOSH) funded consultation service and to involve their employees in establishing fully effective safety and health programs;
- Providing public recognition for employers and employees who have worked together successfully to establish effective and exemplary safety and health programs; and
- Removing the company's name from general schedule compliance inspection lists.
View SHARP Sites
You are eligible for SHARP if you:
- Have no more than 250 employees at the site and not more than 500 total employees at all sites within the same Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) controlled nationwide;
- Are a single, fixed worksite;
- Have at least one full year in operation;
- Have a lost workday injury and illness (LWDII) rate and a total recordable case rate (TRCR) below that for your industry within the established SIC or be willing to commit the time and resources to reduce your current rates to those required over an 18-month deferral period; or
SHARP Program - Page 2
- Be on VOSH's high hazard inspection list, or have a SIC on any emphasis program list at the national, state or local level.